Monday, October 18, 2010

Chevron: I disagree.

Sorry for the long period of absence. A lot has happened between this summer and now, I've gotten considerably busier with freelance clients, a new internship and school. I'm trying to keep this blog up as the whim strikes me, which is what happened tonight.

You may have seen this already: http://www.chevron-weagree.com/

I'm sure there are a lot of ways to view this project. But, as a wishful Californian, I see it through the lens of Proposition 23.

When Chevron says we have "the right to a healthy environment," yet they don't give consideration to the greenhouse gases in one of the most beautiful but also most polluted states, I have to call B.S. on their public relations initiative.

This is the way I see it: a company who is partially responsible for the tragedy that occurred in the Gulf and elsewhere with oil spills. If you're going to participate in the oil business, that makes you partially responsible for tragedies that occur. You add fuel to the demand fire (if you will) and profit from the product, but when it comes to things being messy, you want nothing to do with it? No, Chevron. That's not how this works.

As a future public relations professional, I can't believe that there are people in the industry who believe this "We Agree" campaign is acceptable. All I see is a company profiting off of the sympathy we have for those who suffer from oil damage, hoping to paint themselves as another concerned citizen. True, we all use oil in our cars and all share the blame for the oil crisis - but for those who are raising money to clean up the gulf, putting in time and effort to alleviate the situation, driving efficient cars or electric cars and decreasing their need - they're at least working positively, rather than just pointing the finger.

Where's your call to action, Chevron? You don't have a petition, nor a place to donate, nor a way that the average citizen can join you in fixing the threat of oil spills or oil spills themselves. You have only a few sentences of copy, painting yourself as a good guy, as one of us.

I think you should rethink this campaign, and until then, I'll be making the few gas trips I do make for my hybrid vehicle to a different station that Chevron.

To the citizens out there - what do you think? Is this ok? Are you fine with this campaign? Does this make you want to buy your gasoline from them? Your views are surely different than mine, and I'd love to hear what you have to say.

1 comment:

  1. Chevron needs to stop pumping money in to destroy our clean air regulations in California. Then maybe we can agree.

    ReplyDelete