Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I miss Google Wave (and why you should, too)!

In light of the invite-frenzy that is Google+, I got nostalgic for a simpler time - when invites were more accessible and I was on the "in" squad to get an invite for Google Wave. I remember it like it was yesterday... I logged into my Google Wave and stared as the Ouija Board that it was updated with posts from friends, recommended links, photos and more. While it was an awesome tool for our 2009-2010 NSAC team, outside of my 50+ team members, I knew no one else on the Wave. And why is that?

I think it may have been a little to complex for email and a little too simple for a social network, but it had great potential as a cloud business tool. Yeah, I said it. I think some people were expecting Google Wave to be the next Facebook, and even still others expecting it to be the new, complicated Gmail, when in fact, it couldn't fight with either.

Google Wave was great for a closed network of people working on a project. Emails accidentally get sent to the wrong address, whereas in Google Wave, you best believe you have the right person or their picture would be smiling at you from the top bar, almost sneering, "Well, you can't UNINVITE me now."

The realtime editing may have thrown some kids' computers into a tizzy, but it was a great way to quickly change something as people were working. It was nice to watch one person type the body of text for our copy and be editing behind them as they went (as opposed to Google docs, where my changes and their changes wouldn't appear immediately).

Google Wave has left a bit of a hole in my life since its disappearance and, while its faults were many, I prefer to remember it for the good. Also, as a Google devotee and lover of all of its services, I appreciated the thoughts for it - an innovative approach that would create ease, convenience and instant gratification.

RIP, Google Wave. You're missed.

... Okay, Google, I said something nice. Can I have my Google+ invite now?

No comments:

Post a Comment