Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Words of Wisdom from Dan Edelmen (via Culpwrit)

Every once in a while, a blogger makes a "top ten" list that actually has some really insightful points that people should hear. When I was reading Culpwrit, I came across a list of keys to success by Dan Edelman that was definitely worth reading. For the too-long/didn't-read crowd, here are the points I found most relevant to us as students:

1. "Celebrate your victories but be quick about it so you can get back to the game." This is especially applicable to our recent NSAC victory. We've been celebrating our win for almost a month now. However, while we've been celebrating, our new account executives have been strategizing, coordinating and learning to prepare for the new year. I hate to predict the outcome of any competition I'm a part of, but I will say that I respect the dedication of our new leaders who, while the excitement hasn't faded, already know they have to work even harder to keep our team innovative and creative. Thanks Anna Duffy, Simon Blockley and Lexi Vanni!

2. "There are three legs to the stool - family, work and community." It's hard when your work becomes your life, your co-workers your family and your office your community. But I think, as long as you're aware of all of these elements, you can still provide for a good work environment that can transfer itself into the world beyond the office doors.

3. 'Woe to the young person who fails to take notes-sure to prompt a “never do that again” comment.' My memory's already going - that's why I keep my notebook (and my blog!) consistently updated with pertinent new information, things I want to keep close and possible topics for the future. Write it down, or else you'll forget it.

This article has inspired me to look for another professional to interview, since I got such great information from Joy Donnell when I interviewed her a few months ago. Any suggestions or connections out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment