Sunday, June 13, 2010

Chapman University wins the National Student Advertising Competition

(a shot from Chapman University's presentation of the "Feel Free" Campaign for State Farm; specifically, the Public Relations initiative section)

On Friday at approximately 1:45 p.m. EST, the winner of the State Farm national student advertising competition was announced. A small private university located in the heart of Orange County that goes by the name of Chapman University took the honors.

As I reflect on the past year, I can't say that I ever knew we would win. I knew we worked hard. I knew that our product was high quality and that the effort we put into the work shone in every aspect. I knew that many of our 50 person team ate, slept, breathed and bled State Farm to produce a beautiful campaign we could be proud of. It's a personal flaw, I would say, that I'm reluctant to predict the outcome in projects I'm close to, so I just believe that working my hardest is going to be the best reward I can receive. Winning only helped to verify that all of the work was worth it.

I am just so happy and proud to be part of Circle Advertising this year. I didn't think I could be more proud to be part of this team than I was last year, when I first joined; now I'm even happier. These people are my peers but also my teachers. I've learned more and been motivated more by the excellence and talents on this team than I have by many professors. How did we do it? Remarkable outreach for fundraising from communities, families and friends. Partnering with the incredible film school talents who were graduating as well. Frugal efforts on our part to get the best deals on our projects. Oh, and a strong partnership with our father club, Chapman Ad Club.

The most remarkable part of this victory is the reception we received after the results were announced. Many of the competing teams reached out to us to congratulate and compliment. They wanted to get to know our team members and spend time with them while we were all in Orlando. This speaks volumes to the fraternity and maturity of these teams, which is complementary to their talents. Each presentation that I saw had a strong, cohesive campaign to be proud of. The advertising industry can breathe a sign of relief with minds like these coming into the work force within the next few years. I can only imagine what next year's work will be for everyone, including ourselves, for the new client, J.C. Penney.

If you're looking for the future of advertising, you've found it. It's not just at Chapman University, but in all of the NSAC teams who bleed for their campaigns and produce something they are proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment