Sunday, May 23, 2010

I believe in the Internet.

It came over me today as I sat in my new apartment just how lucky I am to have the technology that I have available to me.

If not for wireless internet access, even though my school wireless doesn't have the best connectivity, I couldn't effortlessly search for solutions to small quandries. Example: trying to figure out how to use my roommate's fossil of a toaster oven.
Thanks, Google.

If not for Twitter, I wouldn't be able to easily interact with other #PR professionals, other #NSAC teams, market for jobs and have an edge over competitors for opportunities. I hate to admit it, but our NSAC advisor was right - Twitter is a force to be reckoned with, and I'm grateful he insisted we learn how to use it.

If not for Blogs, I don't know how I would spend my spare time. True, getting lost in Urlesque is a massive waste of productivity, but on the other hand, blogs such as Tumblr allow me access to new music, art, photography and other interests, enriching my life that much more. Without food blogs, I wouldn't have half as many ideas for what to cook myself, since I now have access to a kitchen. If not for Gizmodo or Mashable, I wouldn't be able to educate myself on Social Media or find the countless other blogs with important things worth knowing.

Email? I can't even begin to say how much I love it. Instant messenger, Skype, all other communication tools... I'm at a loss. I compare how far we've come, from having internet tie up phone lines and crawl at a snail's pace to now being impatient for a page to load after only a few seconds. It's really incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment