Thursday, April 15, 2010

5 Ways To Reduce Social Media Distractions

Oh Mashable, how you speak to me.

"“Insecurity work” is the stuff we do that has no intended outcome, does not move the ball forward in any way, and is quick enough that you can do it multiple times a day without realizing. But nonetheless, it puts us at ease.

The first step in reducing insecurity work is becoming self-aware. Recognize what you do in your everyday life that is, in fact, insecurity work. The second step is to establish some guidelines and rituals for yourself that provide more discipline, such as restricting all insecurity work to a specified 30 minute block every day. The third step, if applicable to you, is to delegate the task of checking on this data to a less insecure colleague who can review it periodically and report any concerns."
http://mashable.com/2010/04/15/reduce-social-media-distractions/

I'm definitely going to start trying this. I find that obsessively checking my email, my Facebook, and my Twitter only stress me out more, or make me aggravated that no one has responded yet to the message I just sent. I think I'll set myself a goal of only checking my personal Facebook and Twitter account three times per day (morning, afternoon, night) and my work email and Twitter as needed. Here's my goal, hopefully I'll stick to it. I am rebelling against social media addiction!

No comments:

Post a Comment