Thursday, April 8, 2010

Reflecting on the National Student Advertising Competition


Getting the campaign book last year was a very surreal moment. When I first got the Tio book and held it in my hands, it was so strange thinking that all of the work we had done had culminated in this small, 30-page book. It was phenomenal to see some of my work put into print and distributed in a classroom. The feeling wasn't as exciting this year when I got Feel Free book, but not because I was less excited about the campaign. There was a different feeling this time - one of satisfaction and pride, when I flipped through it and saw how much we all have grown since last year. We keep setting the bar higher and higher as a team to do better, reach further, and perform as impressively as possible. I also felt so grateful, that I was able to work with so many bright people. There are amazing minds on our Chapman PR team: it never fails to amaze me how talented and brilliant my fellow students are. It can be intimidating at times, thinking that we'll all be joining the job market and competing for those jobs; however, in some cases we'll be working alongside one another. To be able to work with these people again one day - that's something I would love to see happen.

The PR department, itself, is a very static element of the team. Last year, it was very uncertain as to what we were needed to do, since the campaign was for a nonprofit organization. This year, it was easier because it was a corporation. We developed a social media cause marketing campaign and I'm so proud to have lead my team. They are wonderful - driven, intelligent, and resilient. It was strange to be on the PR team two years in a row with two completely different groups of people, but not a bad experience in any way. I love both the teams for what they were, and appreciate every person I worked with because of what they brought to the table: passion and compatibility. Even the times we weren't working as efficiently as possible, we were learning and we got to a place we needed to be. That in itself was a great experience to have.

Because things often need to be tweaked to strengthen a campaign, it was bittersweet to see that many of our social media ideas had to be reworked in order to fit as cohesively as possible with the campaign. Timing wasn't on our side, as it rarely is, but I am pleased with how everything turned out. The core of what our department believed in is present. I printed out a copy of the original plan and stuck it in the book for interviews, to show how well we can work with other members of the team and our directors to change ideas but keep the integrity of the inspiration.

I can't wait to go on my next interview, so that I can bring in both books with me and show them to the representative.

No comments:

Post a Comment